How to Dial and Extension on iPhone and Android? – What is an Extension? It is a number that offers extended options for the directory. So, if you are in a building, you will be using this number to connect to different areas via call. But this is something that is used by landlines. But this can also be implemented on Smartphones. But most people don’t know, how to dial an extension. Well, we are here to help.
What is a Phone Number with Extension?
Ext. or also call an extension is an internal number in a PBX system. So, if the person you are calling is inside a PBX system, you can call them using the extension. People who are inside the PBX can easily call each other using only the extension.
How to Dial an Extension on an iPhone
The iPhone has several tips and tricks up its sleeve but let’s discuss them some other time and for the time being, focus on how to dial an extension. This is not a difficult task, let us show you how.
- Start by launching the Phone app.
- Dial the actual number you want to call.
- Now, press and hold * and a Comma will appear on the display. The Comma works as a pause and it lets you dial the extension.
- Now, type the Extension after the Comma.
- Finally, tap on the Green Call Button to call the number with an extension.
As you can see, this is nothing difficult but requires a few specific steps. Just follow them and you will learn to call numbers with extensions in no time at all.
Saving the Extensions in the iPhone Contacts
Now, if you are going to be calling numbers with extensions on a regular basis, then it is best to save them in your iPhone’s Contacts. So, save the number in your contacts but you also need to learn the way to add the extension. So, let’s focus on the following steps.
- Start by launching the Contacts App.
- We assume that you have the number saved already or simply, create a new contact by tapping on the + button.
- Now, tap on the contact that you want to add an extension to.
- Tap Edit at the top corner.
- Now, tap on the number you want to add an extension to.
- Tap on the Symbols button and tap on the Pause button to insert a Comma.
- Now, type the extension and hit Done afterward.
Using this method, you will be able to save any number with an extension in your iPhone’s contact.
How to Dial an Extension on an Android Mobile
Compared to iPhones, Android mobiles are far more flexible and we are saying this as Android offers 2 different ways to add an extension.
Unfortunately, in reality, the procedures aren’t really different. Basically, you can use a Comma or a Semi-Colon to add the extension number.
So, here’s how to dial an extension…
- Launch the Contacts app.
- Locate the contact that you want to add an extension to
- Tap on the name of the contact, the contact information will be visible
- Tap on the Pencil icon
- Tap on the number and the virtual keyboard will appear
- After the number, type a Comma or Pause/Semicolon and do not leave a space.
- Then, type the extension.
This is more or less like the procedure we used on an iPhone. Now, you must be thinking what is the way to save the extension on an Android device.
Well, we are not adding any unnecessary addition to this article as you will be able to save the extension in the contacts using the same procedure. After you type the extension, you will get the option to save it in the Contacts.
It is not a difficult task to dial an extension on both iPhone and Android devices. It is very simple. Most people aren’t just used to it. But you do not need to panic over it as we have discussed the procedure to dial and save a number with an extension on both of the devices. Take a look at it.